RE: [ClosedHeroQuest] Re: New URL for HQ Greece wiki

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_0tObkWpi_SFgecK8gKSG2U3iTQFm0ByRumU7OXTNduz5FZsZ0vfPXHUhcFs1a>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:06:57 +0100

> > From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_lDOcTCaat1jSJKzUJh3_36bHzv85Yqsbm-WoryZ1vdROkXXDnBBA9sfoM3GdL6_3UaHJD2P5APo9hg6yKk4wDQ.yahoo.invalid>

> > The heroes of Greek myth typically got their
> > powers either through the blood of the gods in their veins, or as a
> > gift from a favorite god; ... Joining a cult to get
> affinities and
> > feats doesn't really model this, at least to me.

So perhaps what you have is a cross between theism and natural magic? The only way to be a devotee (or maybe even an initiate) is to be born one. Or to be born with the potential. Go and see mummy/daddy and introduce yourself, if you want the Feats.

> OTOH, it looks like few could use Affinities or Feats for
> direct, D&D-style, magic like killing at a distance without
> using a bow or spear to hold the effect.

So very few Devotees? Unless you, like some, hold to the idea that feats need a "focus" in any case. My Devotee of Humakt is happy to use Weapon Destroyer at range, and purely as magic (with SFX, of course), but others insist that it must be "held" in a missile weapon of some description, even if the Feat is the primary skill. YHQWV?

> Most Homeric magic involved becoming Inspired by the
> appropriate diety, which sounds like either Hero-forming or
> else temporarily integrating a spirit or daemon

Or "just" using an Affinity as an augment? A high-level augment?

> Assume that almost no one knows how to avoid mixed worship,
> as they worship their household "gods" with sacrifices, even
> though they are actually spirits. Assume that almost no one
> initiates deeper than the pantheon level, and those mostly to
> Mystery Cults that give little useful magic. The few that do
> initiate and know how to avoid mixed or inappropriate worship
> become famous magicians, or else called "Beloved of
> Ares/Athena/Apollo/Artemis/Zeus/Unknown God". And no bards
> know enough magic to give a God-Learner-style analysis.

Sounds about right to me.

And to some extent, sounds about right for much of Glorantha, never mind Greece. We sanitise the place for our games, so as to simplify the rules. The people who live there just do whatever works.