Re: AW: Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_APTi7SSNYeOpwdkL3YtiddxGjtDbpTb4_bUNSj870xXm3FkrlCTMacLsh4H8R_ha>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 15:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

Rob Helm:
> It's no contest, really. The few Ernalda moments were ones that Jeff
> bravely inserted by departing wholesale from the _Sartar Rising_
> storyline. The rest is practically all warfare and Orlanthi magic. For
> the vast majority of the story, traditional female characters who
> appear at all are just setting details, sort of like the Africans in
> _Out of Africa_ or the Egyptians in _The English Patient_.

That's the same problem I have in writing for Prax. I have virtually no good hooks to get an Eirithan -- or even a woman -- into the Praxian story arc until well after much of the interesting stuff happens. It is worse in Prax because the division of gender roles seems more significant there -- women should not hangle things of death and men should not handle things of life. The exceptions really are psychotic (Uroxi or Axe Sisters) or highly esoteric. There are no Redaldas, Vingas, and so on to fall back on.

The only mechanic I can think of is to have an Eirithan as the main character and her husband(s) as one (or more) of her followers. Then she can direct combat by using her Exhort Warriors skill, augmented by her Eiritha the Queen magic (or whatever -- I don't remember the exact words I was using). But the action is still combat, especially for the beginning of the Prax arc, where the nomads eject the lunars from Corflu and Pavis. That seems naturally to tend away from the skills that Praxian women have -- which is true to Glorantha, but somewhat boring.

Did anyone play an Eirithan under RQ2 or 3?

Now, in case, any of you have suggestions about how to solve this problem, please recall that none of you has a high enough IQ to even grasp the problem. But throw your solutions out there, so that I can make fun of their inadequacies.

Warmest retards,
Chris