Re: multiplayer

From: Douglas Seay <dms_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:34:16 -0500

Martin Crim wrote:

> The message board at http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/48065 has some ideas
> about multiplayer play of KoDP. I have another: each player plays a member
> of a clan's ring. Best played on the Internet. Interaction would be a
> large part of the game, though leaders in particular situations would have
> to make their own decisions.

I guess I have been stuck in a rut thinking 'bout the player==clan/tribe option, such that multi-player means inter-clan stuff.

If you went with the players are in the same clan, then I would let each player select nobles. Maybe spending "faction influence" points to get the nobles into that player's faction. Each sacred time would include the new noble auction [*]. Unused "faction" points are used in influencing the clan/moot decisions.

Much of the squabbling will be players trying to get the "right" nobles on the inner ring. In addition to simply the chief/king, several other positions should be defined: the lawspeaker and warleader should be formalized, as should "honorary" roles such as a clan mother (Ernalda-esqe position) [**]. They would have control/more influence on questions in that sphere of influence [***]. I think that one noble can hold multiple positions, so the Orlanthi chief can also be the warleader. An option would be to have *lots* of positions, so some might not be held by inner ring members. Abilities associated with these positions would drop when not held on the inner ring, but not as bad as having the position unfilled.

This is a shift even further from a hack-n-slash first-person-shooter and closer to a RPG that is heavy on diplomacy. The goal is not only for the clan to advance (co-operation), but to do so while favoring one faction (confrontation). This could be interesting. The main downside is that I can't see this working all that well in single player mode. Playing against robotic factions would be OK, but having to co-operate with 'em wouldn't be quite as fun. Robots are for squishing, not negotiating with.

[*] This would also avoid the problem of getting new nobles and not knowing 'bout it. Last night I had the hardest time getting Uroxi, and when one finally did show up, I may have not used him from the start because I didn't know he was there. Sheesh.

[**] Obviously I don't want to go too far in tying a position to a particular cult. This would ensure at least one female on non-Ernalda-centric clan, and one at least one male on a an Ernalda-centric clan (the husband-protector I think it is called).

[***] The warleader has more influence in deciding how many thanes go on raids, exploration and so on. The clan mother has exclusive control in deciding how much to put into "children" magics in sacred time.