RE: social promotion

From: Devore, Ernest L <edevore_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:01:45 -0600

On that note, I had ONE clown I was grooming to take over the clan when old Fanarl died. This guy had a decent leadership, pretty good combat, and even a decent custom. He was also young. I'm careful with this guy. No, you CAN'T go explore the tula today, buddy boy. You might get eaten by rubble runners or a chaos thingy. So what happens? In a raid at someone ELSE'S tula he gets challenged to single combat by one of the enemy thanes. Well dang, I wouldn't have even BROUGHT the kid if I'd had a choice... but now that's he's been challenged you can't just back down and expect the thanes to follow you when you lead the tribe, now can you?

So I accept the challenge and bright boy gets killed. I should have just saved all that time and trouble and made him a cottar. Then everyone would have been happy, including the sheep.