Re: The lack of leaders thing

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:26:47 -0800

Bryan Thexton wrote

>A recurring issue that keeps coming up on this list is
>either "I'm running out of nobles" or "I'm running out
>of nobles of this very useful sect" or "All of my
>nobles are from the same few sects, one more unlucky
>death and I won't even have seven different cults
>available for my ring."

Running out really isn't a problem, since you get new ones. Not all at once, but over time, you should replenish the pool of available talent -- I believe it's one new leader per season.

If you don't have seven different religions on the ring, you do lose the heroquest bonus, but it's not like you aren't able to quest any more.

Glorantha fans will recall that some of the religions are very strict indeed. For example, Humakti may be called upon to sever their ties with their kin and swear various dire oaths to their god, and Chalana Arroy god-talkers must become totally non-violent (always difficult in a feud-filled society where other people are killing your kin). Not everyone is willing to take this final step of devotion.

OK, so it's realistic, but is it the best game design? I'll just say that there are various constraints involved in shipping a game, and that any changes here would require very extensive testing to make sure new bugs weren't introduced.