Re: Glad they didn't decide to *curse* me...

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:13:41 -0800 (PST)

Yah, I found "easy" too easy after one game. It was just a short game, but I loafed through my ten year kingship (short game) with so many trade goods I could basically buy myself out of any situation, so really only played the last few years just to say I'd completed it.

I found on medium and hard I pretty much needed to start one game, run it for a few years and give up before my clan was totally trashed, then start again, hopefully wiser. On "easy" I found you could impose your will on the world if you were determined. On the harder settings, no matter how well prepared you are, sometimes things don't work your way, so you have to be much more cautious. In particular, I've found military escorts to be no guarantee of safety when travelling and exploring. I tend to really think, when I send anyone off the tula, how badly I need to succeed and how much I will miss the noble. Sometimes, for example, I send a merely good or very good bargainer, who isn't an Issaries worshipper or even on the ring, to give gifts or to lead routine trading expeditions, if they are generally expendable.  Basically, always assume that no matter what you do, you can fail, so try to avoid doing things that have disastrous consequences for failure unless you are desperate.

*shrugs* the game is frustrating sometimes, but so far I'm still finding it fun. Of course, eventually I'll grow bored with it, but when I only get to play ~half an hour a day, that will take a long time!

--Bryan