Re: A request to any other Finnish people on the list....

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 19:43:45 +0000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:17:06 +0200, "Kaj Sotala" <Tspro_at_...> wrote:

>Yes, but what is the difference in playing the game from a CD I own legally,
>and a CD that has been burned, since I have paid for the game and not
>distributed either CD (copied nor original) to anybody? None.

Breach of copyright, software piracy and criminal action. If that's OK by you, so be it. You are not distributing it, you're asking someone else to do so. I notice at least you differentiate between '...a CD I own legally...' and '...a CD that has been burned...', since the latter cannot be classified as legal.

>As far as I know, copyright laws allow copying of games for purposes of a
>personal backup. That's exactly what I want to do - since I dont know where
>my original CD is, I'll use a backup, burned one.

This has not been the case for many years, since games came on floppy disks. many now come explicitly stating that copying is illegal. And as you want a copy from someone else's CD, it cannot be classed as a backup for personal use, can it? If you had made such a backup before 'losing' it you might be able to claim some justification for the copying.

>Even if my knowledge is wrong, then it might be technically wrong, but
>morally it is correct. Can you prove me to be wrong? And you cannot say
>that simply making a copy is wrong, since no harm is caused.

If you have no problem in soliciting illegal software piracy for your personal profit, go ahead. Just don't be surprised when the facts of the matter are pointed out to you. You are attempting to have a-sharp defrauded of revenue from it's product by having an illegal copy made for you. Proof of intent is not necessary, the action is itself illegal. Of course, the illegal action would be on the part of the copier, not yourself, unless action were taken for attempting to encourage illegal activity, which is unlikely. More piracy is carried out to 'do a favour' than for mass profit, but it comes down to the same thing.

We have both made our positions clear, the legalities of the matter are off-topic for this list, and I have no interest in continuing this discussion.

Wulf