Re: Re: Death of Orlanth

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 14:19:58 -0800 (PST)

John:
> CHDP then says:
>
> "Whitewall was more important religiously than
> it was militarily, hence Tatius the Bright had
> been given command. This stronghold was believed
> to be the last city of Orlanth, the god who
> was rival to the Red Goddess of the Empire.
> To take it would end the worship of
> Orlanth in all cities: a great victory.

One point that seems significant to me here. Cities are very important to Lunars, and especially Dara Happans. Cities are almost irrelevant to Orlanthi.

Perhaps the defenders of Whitewall originally decide to hold out in Whitewall as typical Heortling defiance. As time goes on, they realize that the empire attaches huge significance to the conquest of Whitewall as a city. Their response is to refuse to fall into the trap of defending it as a city -- they evacuate the population and defenders, leaving the empire an empty victory. They recognize that the Orlanthi way is not attached to a mere place. Like the wind, they escape the empire's grasp.

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster http://search.yahoo.com