Re: Sesarto the Artist and Whitewall Building materials

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:47:50 -0000

Hey, a rocks thread I haven't got shackled by!

Oliver:
> And no I don't know what the plateau is made off (though the
> buildings are dolomite which is a form of limestone I believe).

Yep, it's a calcium magnesium carbonate, and is classed as 'limestone'

> Here's a suggestion...
>
> Later on Sesarto the Artist came along and struck by the rugged
> beauty of the spot built Whitewall. During the construction he
> somehow turned the limestone into a magical marble.

Well, with regard to metamorphism (heat and pressure), we're looking at something that can fuse the battered bone pile into something smooth and cohesive like marble. There must also be many mythic or magical things that can do this lying around?

Joerg:
> To have a look
> at the rock itself, geologists usually hit it with a hammer.

Quite right too! Though we're not supposed to at times. And if we are allowed to in the UK, we're often supposed to collect up our chippings afterwards! One of the silliest sights I ever saw was when a lad in our mapping excursion was about to hammer away in a place he wasn't supposed to. In comedic fashion he looked around cautiously, and then smacked the damn thing like Captain Caveman. You could have heard him miles away in Coniston. He then looked up, cautious as you like, and trepidatiously peered 'round to see if anyone had noticed...

Jane:
> I may have found a possible answer [to the bone question]...

Excellent stuff!

> Two Ridge Top, incidentally, became a fort in the
> Vingotling Age (DP p57), and the ridges are made of
> obsidian. Black is a nice contrast to white....

Two Ridge Black Top, cool! That has to be a 'small' tale in the making...

Hey, obsidian's a volcanic product, which means Vestkarthen's been around. Which means there's hope for Joerg's quartzite yet! ;)

Cheerio,

Stu.