Re: Possible girlfriend for Broyan

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 19:30:46 -0000

Well there's that too.:-) (Actually I'd say that would be my normal response to this sort of situation but I was trying to be nice. Tamora Pierce is one of my favorite authors so I like strong female characters).

It could easily be a case of her having being smitten (read temporarily deranged) and swept off her feet by events. Once she 's stuck in WW and sees the situation (no marriage, little respect, only one co-religionist, people flinging burning things at her, etc) especially the fact that Broyan isn't going to be marrying her she can quite easily become disillusioned with the situation yet still be stuck.

Can she ditch her upbringing and try something radically different like joining Vinga or is she up the proverbial creek with the only other alternative being going back to daddy for a life of shame? Would what's is face still take her? She could be a candidate for betraying Broyan to the Lunars. There's a fine line between love and hate after all.

She's got possibilites as 1) someone new to the story; 2) a reason for Esluvari to be hanging around; 3) an ambiguous character (does she try and betray Broyan, does she support him, does she try another way?)

Oliver