Re: Re: Possible girlfriend for Broyan

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:14:37 GMT

In message <00dc01c4063f$c3a6a080$5f5aa18e_at_computer> "Oliver Bernuetz" writes:

>She never swore nothing! It was an arranged marriage all the way. So
>the only thing she's really "guilty" of by Orlanthi standards is not
>listening to her father's wishes. Now does her father's oath bind her?
>An interesting question. I don't know that it would. I'm sure dad
>thinks so.

I think it certainly does in the Rokari church - the medieval attitude that women were the property of their fathers and then their husbands certainly fits there. Women can't swear real oaths so their menfolk do it for them. I'm less sure about the various churches in Esvular who I see as more flexible. In a world where oaths are backed by the magic of the church that'll be important.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/