Re: Bat-Blat

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:33:39 -0800 (PST)

Ian Cooper:
> Hmmm, I suspect that anyone creating macro-
> scale weather effects does so with ritual magic
> not a simpl feat. The feat can create localized
> weather effects, but I think for terrible
> storm season blizzards you are talking rituals,
> community support etc. So Kallyr
> is not acting alone here.

Somewhat OT, but supporting your position: Recently in Sandy's RQ game, one of our character heroqeusted and became king of Trond the biggest of Ygg's Isles. As foremost of the Ygg's islanders, he got the power to change the weather. Since we're being invaded by all sorts of nasty good-type people (since we're Vadeli-allied evildoers, ourselves), we thought that we could get some help with the weather. The best we could do was a good steady drizzle -- which is good, because it means that the colonists' crops won't ripen, but is certainly not the gale I was hoping would blow all of their transport to Pamaltela. Sandy said that, given enough time, the effect would cumulate. For example, uncle Black Hralf the Weasel was also King of Trond, and used the power to bring the mini-ice-age that affected Loskalm before the ban.  (All in Sandy's Glorantha, of course.) Part of our problem is that our character is new to his power and the other part is that he lack sufficient community support, since most of the inhabitants of Trond are undead. We don't have any rules mechanisms to represent any of this, since we play RQ, but that fact seems to validate the fact that what you describe is the way Glorantha works.

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam http://mail.yahoo.com