RE: Simple Question re The Bat

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:52:43 -0800

  > > New here. Doesn't seem to be a happy place, but I'll stay a while and see
> > if it's always like this.
> The list is the place for getting things sorted out, if needs be by
> arguments. Usually we are a happy group, here.

We are almost always happy - but with nearly eighty people, there's always someone who woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

> > I have a question regarding the Bat. What exactly is it intending
to do
> > when it attacks Whitewall? Gobble everybody up one by one (in small
> > mouthfuls), suck them in all at once (in one gigantic mouthful),
squash
> > them or something worst?
> I think that its usual tactic is to make the intended food
defenseless
> with its scream and gobble up what can easily be swallowed by the
masses
> (possibly in a single sweep), then, like a vampire bat, lick up all
the
> juicy bits that didn't fit into the jaws at once. Think of it
treating the
> ruins of a city like a vampire bat licking the cattle neck below its
bite.
> However, the Runegate entry in DP:LoT seems to assume a giant
swallowing
> attack only, or why did only those sheltering below the Luck Gate
survive?

This is precisely how the Bat attacks in my opinion. Those at Runegate who sheltered below the Luck Gate were just phenomenally lucky. No other reason why they survived.

> > I kinda envisioned that the Bat Attack involved eating people but
maybe
> > that isn't how it works. Or maybe this has already been covered in
an
> > earlier post?
> Nope, you're the first to point this out. Not that the defenders have
much
> of an idea how the Bat's attack looks and feels. Or is there any
Runegate
> survivor in Whitewall?

There are enough Colymar present at Whitewall that there is presumably a survivor or two. And some witnesses (you could see it from the Starfire Ridge). I imagine that the Colymar (unless there are other players who fill the role) get to be the default Bat-Experts.

Jeff