Re: Bat Stuff

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 23:35:41 +0100 (BST)

Some comments:

Any attempt to describe a giant version of a mundane creature that quotes mass, velocity and so on is doomed to failure. These creatures cannot possibly fly except by magical means and so scaling up becomes irrelevant.

I would guess that the Bat can be agile and mobile only relatively, So, if it was in combat with a dragon, they would be rolling about in mid-air and would look as agile as necessary. If flying around normally, it would look clumsy as it wouldn't need to dodge around.

At its largest size, the Bat would ignore humans attacking it, just because they would be too small for it to worry about. When smaller, it might flick out a tongue but certainly wouldn't bother to dodge or atack such a puny thing, unless the Priests directed it.

The best way to defeat the Bat is to kil the Priests, let it go berserk and it will probably fly away. Alternatively, Gonn Orta could swat it or a dragon could eat it. Short of that, you're pretty much stuffed. I reckin that the defenders of Whitewall slew the Priests and drove it off that way, not having a dragon or giant to hand.

By the way, the article in Moon Rites makes some interesting reading.

Simon