Re: Stormhold Scenario: Background Ideas

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 15:37:06 +1000

Donald on Kistrald the Gatethane:

>I think you've upped his position a bit from my ideas. When I wrote
>him he was just in charge of a gate for part of the time. He's not even
>a warrior but someone with experience of taking charge and sensible
>enough to be relied on to interogate and assess arrivals. I wouldn't
>put him in charge of PCs but I would put them on a bit of wall near
>the gate and have the people in charge ask Kistrald his opinion of
>them. I don't think PCs (particularly starting ones) should jump
>straight in with relationships with important people and I wanted to
>give them a contact who was worth getting on their side because his
>opinion is valued by important people. Or equally will cause them
>immense problems if they get off on the wrong foot with him.

That's fine, and I think our ideas do mesh. In 'Stormhold' he's an NPC and a background figure. Partially disabled perhaps, and so no longer a warrior. If he's normally on the gate by day, it would be unusual to see him about at night. Mind you. tonight is an unusual night. There 's a leadership moot in the city, and then... stuff happens on the walls.

I can certainly work with him not being powerful politically. But if he's one of those who choose warriors to fight beyond the wall, he certainly going to have influence, even if its just in mentioning names to the real wall commanders.

Cheers

John