Re: Re: Mile-throw javelins

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 09:09:55 -0700

> That's how I work it. Anyway, even if you say the javelin flies for
> a mile, that doesn't preclude it passing through someone on the way.
> Though, thinking about that, a minimaxer might suggest it could cut
> a whole file out of a serried enemy phalanx, but I'd hope that
> common sense would ensure that a narrator rule that the javelin
> would have flown for a mile were it not for the numerous Dara
> Happans beginning to be kebabbed along it...

You callin' me a Minimaxer, bub?

I suggested just such a scenario a few messages back. The answer to that problem is the Multiple Opponent modifier. Sure, you can *attempt* to take out an entire file of hoplites, but that's something on the order of -27 (for 10 guys to the file) (And don't forget the distance modifier, -3 to -20, depending on *final* distance the javelin travels for a total penalty of -30 to -47 to your Phalanx Kebab feat.

*And* it's your roll against the *best* of the enemy rolls... If the first guy in the phalanx deflects the missile, you do nothing. (A really nice narrator might roll each hoplite sequentially, stopping when he got a better roll than the player, and only assigning damage to those hoplites actually "hit" A nasty one would just take the best roll and declare that you did nothing).

RR
- Richelieu