RE: Re: Summons of Evil

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:15:33 +0100

> > An interesting question - how much time do they get? Leaving aside
> > advance reports like the one in Rob's game, how far away
> can the Bat
> > be seen, and how long does it take to cover that distance?

Denethor Hurin:
> [Pulls Dragon Pass rules]

> Therefore, we would be reasonably safe in declaring Bat speed
> to be at least 75 Kilometers a day over any terrain..

Great - thanks! And I've Wikied that.

> As for how far away it can be seen, the Orlanthi pretty much
> own the sky prior to it's arrival so the real question has to
> be how far out has Broyan put his aerial scouts on patrol?

The results of that are also interesting, but no, that isn't the real question. The Bat is Big. How far away can it be seen? Is it really "a new Glowspot detachs from the Moon and starts approaching"? At max size, it's half a mile long. How far away can one see an object half a mile long? A glowing, flapping object, that is? Glorantha doesn't have curvature of the earth and horizon problems to worry about, but there may be mountains in the way. Does it fly low?

Is it starting from the Moon? If so, how far away is that?

Found a map with Glamour and Whitewall and a scale... http://nysalor.daug.net/runequest/kartat/lunarine.html

Looks like about 1100 km. Let's estimate the bat as 1/2 km long rather than 1/2 mile, it may not be full size.

If the Bat is 500m long, and a human is 2m long, it can be seen 250* as far away as a human - sound about right? How far away can you see a moving human, if you're looking for them and there's nothing in the way? I know I've seen other walkers in the mountains when they're on top of the next peak along. A mile - a few miles? Magically-enhanced vision - say 5km? Multiply by 250, that's 1250 km.

Yes, you'd see the Bat leave the Moon, assuming that's where it starts. From the walls of Whitewall, no flying scouts needed. And it'll take about 2 weeks to make the trip, visible throughout.

No doubt someone will now correct my sums?