Supplies, questions raised IMOG

From: drfegg_at_...
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:23:01 EDT

Hi
There has been a bit of banter about the Lunars getting supplies to WW but nothing about the Orlanthi point of view. IMOG the players raised the point of how the Orlanthi get supplies in and how do they get the non-combatants out. I was a bit stumped at this so we broke the session and chatted over coffee and pizza. If the WW situation mirrors Masada, Silvius Flavius marched against Masada in 72AD, early 73AD surrounded Masada and later that year went over the walls. Less than a year.
Yes, they had plenty of supplies but would the Orlanthi? The siege starts in Sea season, most supplies would have been for over wintering until the roads are free of snow/mud, not for a protracted siege. IMO Ben Ya'ir and his buddies may have anticipated a siege, it was built by Herod the Great with a siege in mind (hence the nine cisterns), and pre-stocked. The Orlanthi have no real idea that WW would become the focus of the Lunar's interest, Karse being the most obvious Lunar objective not some backwater fortification/temple which has fallen out of favour. Based on a person needing 1Kg of food per day and assuming WW holds 1000 people that equates (obviously!) to a metric tonne of food a day. Lets also assume that there is enough food for 12 weeks but then what? How do you get 60 tonnes of food into a city which is surrounded by a (small) army to last a season?

The discussion came up with some ideas, most of which (if not all) are crap BUT may light a spark in someone's mind. Steal it from the Lunar supply wagons. But how do they get it in? (best guess was through the Hidden Stables).
Guided Teleport (RQ). But not enough could be taken. Sylphs carry it in. Pathetic, shot down in flames (pun intended). Persuade Hazra Khan to carry some supplies for WW and bring them in via the Hidden Stables.
Contact that other Trader in K(C)arse. (Sorry forgot his name but he's the one who only has 2 successful runs a year when Hazra is on "holiday"). Again, the HS featured.

The only downside to using the HS as a way in is that although it's good for small groups the narrowness of the canyon would make it easy for the Lunars to stop any large groups of animals/wagons carrying in supplies. If only it was AD&D... :)

The same thing applies to getting people out. Just how are the Orlanthi to get the children and the elderly passed the Lunars? I mentioned some time ago about Huyra(?) and the Scarf of Mist (but a bigger version) being used to cover their escape, but I don't know enough about HW to come up with anything usable. Is it feasible or a waste of time. Do they do a deal with the Lunars? Fazzur would be more aimiable than Tatius to this, IMO. Does Fazzur allow Jorkandros to do this? Is this just another reason that he is recalled to Karse?

Well sorry for the rambling but I feel that the Lunars would have a far easier time of it getting kit in (Moonboats for goodness sake!) and I feel it is a subject which needs resoving.
Steve