Re: Date WW fell

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:18:25 -0700 (PDT)

Jane asks why, if Tatius arrived in late 1619 or early 1620, did WW not fall until late 1621.

I'd suspect that he found his logistical situation very insecure through at least the fall of 1620. Most enemies in hostile terriitory have to forage for food.  Initially, I would imagine that the beseigers had

problems getting food from the locals because (a) the
defenders were still running around loose and (b)
small foraging parties (which are more efficient) were
easy targets. Hence, initially, they had to send out foraging parties that were large enough not to whipped by the various bands of defenders that were not effectively enclosed in Whitewall.

I would expect that one of Tatius' first initiatives was to enclose Whitewall more effectively, so as to prevent the defenders from interfering with his foraging parties. This would be a combination of guardhouses, walls, and patrols. I would think that this would take at least a couple of seasons, especially if it rains a lot in one of them.

Once late spring of 1620 arrives, the locals' stored food is going to be running low, so his foraging parties, which can then operate effectively, find little to bring back. Tatius may have had to wait until after the 1620 harvest to really get his logistics in order. At this point, he can start organizing effectively to take the offensive.

Perhaps the rituals he needed to perform must start, as well as end, at a certain point in the year (Sacred Time, or spring, or the Red Moon's birthday, or whatever).

I should say that all of the above is off the top of my head and not checked against known facts, so all of the dates could be wrong, or this could be flat contradicted by somethign in KoS.

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today! http://vote.yahoo.com