Re: Re: Orlanthi magic boost, power balance

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:58:54 +0100 (BST)

> > Rob, let me ask you again. Some of your PCs had
> > Orlanthi magic, which got boosted. Others didn't,
> and didn't. Was this a problem?

> Not sure what you mean here Jane, in terms of what?
> We have quite a
> mature group, so we don't have people worried about
> so and so being
> more magically powerfull at this or that.

Right, sounds like the group I run. I'm just a bit worried about less mature groups. You know, the ones for whom all these limits like "you can only spend 20 points on char gen" were intended. Me, I'm over at the opposite extreme - we're decided that since all abilities can be used as flaws, they're all free... but that isn't exactly standard HQ! And we want this setting to be used by everyone, with the standard rules.

Still, come the Fimbulwinter, all Orlanthi PCs lose their magic, so I suppose long-term it balances out.

>In reality the augments were generally only an
> extra +1, and things like flying became easier,
> which suited me as
> they were at 17 for their flight affinities (which
> became 6W).

Makes good sense under the circumstances - and of course you gave them *all* Flight affinities, didn't you?

> > Also, how far did this "boost" extend? Was it, for
> > instance, just inside the city walls? Not even
> > extending as far as Tarkalor's Gate?

> It was whilst under the cloud. Take a plan view of
> WW and draw a
> cloud that would extend maybe 1-200 feet over that
> in all locations at least.

Sounds perfect!

(Well, I can hear a certain Rigsdal cultist with a liking for clear starry nights whinging in the background, but ignore her.)

Jane Williams