RE: Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 07:37:28 +0100

> I agree with Stewart, in RQ, you can either do it or you
> can't. It would take my pc's several game months (at least)
> to learn a feat like the ones described and even then would
> require templar intervention ,POW cost and dice luck.

In principle, I'd agree. The rules are only there to represent the world, so look at what, in Glorantha, you have to do to learn a feat.

> but isn't
> the fun of roleplaying to pit what you have against all
> obstacles, not simply tailor yourself to each upcoming hurdle?
> Maybe I've misunderstood?

Well... I can quite see a Gloranthan person thinking "my aim is to achieve X, in order to do that I need to be better at these skills, I'd better go and learn them".

But that's at the level of "I want to avenge my fathers death, I'd better learn to fight". Not "I fancy a pizza, it'll be slightly faster to fly there than to order one delivered, I'll learn a Flight affinity."