Re: Wagons

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:21:29 +0000 (GMT)

> That "at least two-wheeled" bit puzzles me. Who would try to have a cart with less than two wheels? Why?
> And if they managed to succeed in having a working cart with less than two wheels, what's wrong with that?

> My guess is that it the practical variant of the historical war chariot.

War chariot pulled by two oxen... it does actually make mythic sense that a chariot would be a requirement, I suppose.

> I've never read RoC, so I have to wonder if that requirement applies in
> Sartar or not.

This is the Sartar version of Orlanth, as it appears in the Sartarite colony of Pavis. So yes.

>  I'd think not, because I don't remember seeing anything
> like that in KoS.

KoS doesn't contain an Orlanth cult write-up, does it? It's an addition to everything that came before it, not an over-write (not that it could be an overwrite - how would you explain to a priest that he doesn't need his cart any more because that rule got left out of a book that won't be written for another few centuries?)

> >That "at least two-wheeled" bit puzzles me. Who would try to have a
> >cart with less than two wheels? Why?

> Also known as a wheelbarrow. It depends what you are trying to
> transport. Two oxen and a cart with a single wheel would be
> perfectly stable.

ah, yes, true....  and one good reason to forbid that would be "bringing the cult into disrepute" - it would be even harder to take seriously than a duck.