Re: The Carmanians in the Second Age

From: David Dunham <david_at_zbshmowThmPW7qXwaIT0BIRX-pkefv8u9Ow18_K1iXozAnXSqPg7MwT9xEOg4w-fnDVowq>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:07:22 -0700

Here are my opinions:

>How does Carmania interact with Anadikin (this is how it is spelled in
>Glorantha the Second Age – is it correct)? Or does Carmania just skirt
>the edges of Baloris, Brolia, and Anadikin, with little interaction,
>war or trade?

I believe the correct term is Anadikki, in all periods.

Carmania and Charg were carving up Baloris 45 years ago. And Carmania took over the northern part of Anadikki -- likely only a tributary relationship. I think it may be that a family or clan could pay the tribute in military service.

It seems that one of their motivations was to keep the EWF at bay -- the Carmanians opposed the EWF's attempts to take over Brolia 15 years ago.

The EWF took over Anadikki 5 years ago. Again this is likely a tributary relationship, though draconic worship had no doubt been spreading for years.

The Shah lost his life in this battle, which shows not the importance of Anadikki, but the concern Carmania has for the EWF. (The EWF has politically taken over Dara Happa, not as mighty as it once was, but still a major power.)

It appears that Carmania and the barbarians of Brolia and Anadikki end up with a good working relationship as common enemies of the EWF. I suspect they rule with a light hand.

After all, there's not all that much in Brolia and Anadikki. They're sparsely populated, with low agricultural yield. I'm not aware of significant resources. But they do have a population motivated to fight the dragon lords, who may have mythic lore that can help do it.

>Is there a neighboring Barbarian land that raises good
>horsemen ( I kind of think of the Adikki/Carmanian relationship as
>being similar to the Sarmanian/Roman relationship), but I am not sure
>if this is true.

(Sarmatian?) I don't think the Anadikki are really horsemen -- they probably have ponies, but their land isn't great for riding. See the first quote on Brolia (one valley over) at
<http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/brolia.html>. In any case, the Carmanians have much cooler horses, and are probably the best heavy cavalry anywhere nearby.

--

David Dunham