Re: The Carmanians in the Second Age

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_g-hFON-T7x1QzoKQSj3igAI-0XcCCIw3M6gxKaVR0pesSLTWgfmH_rusdWeH2258Umb>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:22:49 +1200

Kevin:

>On 3/23/07, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_XH5BmHMV-T1ps5C5eJlO_7oPyFbwCwrNB_-yF5fWhMqEyR2tGLiZ9CVqWf3Db47FOCk5-56knZmXKamJN8euVunlUykJqw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> > In order to restore themselves to the Truth, they developed the dualistic
> > doctrine and many other innovations (such as persecuting the Logicians).

>I am under the impression that the contest with the Logicians occurred
>sometime after the apotheosis of Carmanos, but I don't have any hard
>evidence.

My impression was that it was before and that Carmanos's revelations came as a solution to their spiritual turmoil.

>The roll of Light and Dark has been the subject of much debate among
>Carmanians, as everyone here has rightly observed. That said,
>Carmanians are generally distrustful of the Dark since it so easily
>leads to the Lie.

I'm dubious of this myself. Their greatest experiences with the lie happen to be Gbaji, the God Learners and the Spolites, only one of which was darkness associated.

I feel instead that the Carmanians strive to maintain the right balance between Light and Darkness so they will remain free from the Lie. Too much light and they become physically and spiritually weak. Too much darkness and they become monsters rather than men. That at least was what I understood Alijiyah's reforms was about.

> > I consider the importance of free will to be alien (or at least pointless)
> > to the Carmanian worldview.

>That depends on how you look at it. Carmanian Dualism is an ethical
>religion that depends on individuals to use their free will to choose
>Truth over the Lie.

IMO the Carmanians consider that if the religion relies on people choosing to do the right thing then it cannot stand. The struggle for the truth must be buttressed with fear as well as love. Compelling others to do the right thing is better than allowing them to lapse into the lie. Insofar as Carmanian ethics goes, it is cast in terms of how to do right rather than making a choice between good and bad.

> > As for monasticism, the Magi are thought to be monastical
> > in character.

>But they are notable for being exceptions to the general rule. Greg
>has said that Carmanians generally hate asceticism.

There's a big difference between monasticism and asceticism (and where did Greg say this BTW?). Nonetheless I see the source for the statement is predicated on anti-monastical Carmanians is based on the wiki article about the Zorastorian stress on active participation in life.

> > Why be so generous? They didn't support Idovanus in life so
> > why should they be redeemed?

>Zoroastrianism has the evil dead eventually being purified in rivers
>of molten metal, and then being reunited with the Good God in paradise
>(the world purified of all evil). I use this idea for the Carmanians
>in my game.

It depends on when this belief existed. It seems too modern in tone (Ahura Mazda is going to save everybody including the evil people, isn't he good?) rather than the more general attitude to people not like us in pre-modern times (bad people are going to hell and good riddance to them all).

> > Once the house has
> > determined what Caste you belong to, that's the end of it.

>I thought the viziers determine caste, although this may have become
>something of a formality.

Viziers serve a house so there's no contradiction.

--Peter Metcalfe