Re: Tides on inland waters in Glorantha?

From: Stephen Hunt <chipchat_at_4zuXmKB4JJMVxQaENWm4jA1ubcGsyB_M59n40ot2J43_htRitbaasyjCTDJhSQW_h8x>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 01:05:21 +0100

I was thinking that, as it's a tunnel and not a body of water that the glacier sits upon, that if there's tidal pressures, it's going to carve through portions of ice when it's at full tide, leaving open spaces once it ebbs. If it was just a body of water it sat upon, granted, but the idea of a tunnel suggests to me that it has to carve its own path. Plus, it just sounded funkier to have a ferocious, perilous passage that only the blessed or the crazy would try to navigate.

  Stephen Hunt:

> With the presence of tides, the portion under the glacier would rarely
> be completely underwater, due to the rise and ebb of the tide.

  I don't see why, unless there's some magical reason. The ice on the   Arctic Ocean pretty much just sits on top of it, doesn't it? There may   be caverns inside the ice, of course, or something funkily magical going   on. But, according to the old RQ2 map that showed the 'tunnel', it's at   least 200 miles wide at its narrowest point, which implies to me that   the ice would simply flex with the tides.

  --
  Trotsky
  Gamer and Skeptic