Re: Lunar Cycle in the Hero World?

From: donald_at_FVWwBontYumBwpgRGT4yceWQwsCBaaX8dkCjYme7eKYf9vRI5TLrz5LavG2NH4TUpa_T-
Date: Mon Apr 02 14:09:17 2007

In message <eur3ff+lj77_at_eGroups.com> "Mike Dawson" writes:

>Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere on any of
>the 6 lists. Even if I was that diligent, I can't imagine a search
>string that would get me to the answer I need.
>
>How does the Lunar Cycle affect Lunar heroquesters in the Hero World?
>Surely it can't be that their magic multiplier is stuck at the point
>they embarked from the middle world.
>
>If so, Lunars would only ever leave on full moon days, and lunar
>enemies would only ever leave on black moon days.

That's going to be true in any case because it will certainly apply to the difficulty of crossing to the HP. However there can be mythological reasons for choosing certain dates for a particular quest. E.g. Orlanthi magic is going to work best on Wind's day which coincides with the Full Half Moon in Dragon Pass. Then the practicalities of the situation may require someone to perform a HQ at other than the optimum time.

>And how does lunar magic work in ages where the particular moon or
>god wasn't manifest? Can Nathans use Perfect Balance in the Storm
>Age? Can Irripi Ontorites do their Brown Man magic in the Golden Age?

I think this is an area where YGWV as it involves a complex theological argument over whether the source of Lunar magic was always there or only appeared with the Moon. It's been discussed on the Glorantha Digest in the past but I'm not sure any conclusion was reached because it got too esoteric for me to follow.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/