Fighting over Forms

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_TB2JobW45MLm6yc4e45HedPKI-BYuO2gu6f0w2evf6cojloc4tNSPrasgCJF8mHABxd5JR1>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 07:13:58 -0700

Quoting Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_xFBLflztP9AhB27NO3YzfE9oxRrvQ9BtGEwa7beIM-B2AI-5EceA0qGTSC7mWI9hJq-69bmqUDOsIsSG5Gi2cGd1.yahoo.invalid>:

> And then start a fight over what gender their
> god(-dess) is, I'd imagine. Vinga isn't from the Water
> tribe, after all.

In a later email exchange I suggested this was not likely to occur. Jane responded, reminding us how the medieval monks fought over tonsure.

I just want to point out that the monks both belonged to monotheistic religions, both of which claimed to have exclusive access to The Truth.

Polytheistic religions do not generally make such a claim. The experience of polytheistic reality makes a person aware that the mythic/spiritual realm is flexible and contains inherent contradictions within itself.

There is no record of anyone fighting over whether Zeus was thunder, the oak grove, etc. Nor did Germans and Greeks fight over whether Thunder was Zeus or Donner. They knew thunder is both, and many others as well.

And they had plenty of other things to fight about anyway.

That's the norm in polytheism. It would take a pretty closed-minded individual to claim that they had an exclusive lock The Truth.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford