Re: Is Argrath a theist or an animist?

From: john.hughes_at_i0FJ5vvOoXjkCpWCMtF3DRe0osl8i1RYucg4lGRd6dMR0oeVdEaTtlb5u4H_TYXy
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:06:48 +1000

Chris Lemens wrote:

  The Big A is Nysalor/Gbaji. He can pretend to commune with who he wants, and you'll love him for it.

I don't much like the whole "Argrath's illuminated" or "he's a mystic" idea. I don't know why. It just doesn't resonate with me. Frankly, it bores me.

I wasn't implying either, but it serves me right for being so ecliptic. The burning of Glamour has a long-term historic and mythic trajectory. If myths make people, then the DNA becomes largely irrelevant.

And if it bores you, great - boredom is a source of change and innovation. be sure to share your solution. :)

My point is about mysterious and powerful people who appear from seeming nowhere: not *who* they are but who people *think* they are. In a place as fractured as Sartar there are going to be some strong opinions and strong resentments. Skydomes, look how they treated Kallyr ...

If he seems good but you're suspicious, who do you gravitate to?

For what its worth, I explored the Argrath as Arkat theme pretty thoroughly in "Helden".

  Who thinks Arkat was more than one person (excluding Gbaji)?

Neat segue Chris. Having Arkat as more than one person seems to spoil most of the wonder. And irony.

Cheers

John

john_at_DYn13Q6szS2Ke7H9xVq4tGMN7t6QhsbMhpJYo3jDpgtuucTgpSm2XbHkc_aRJVcDqdE2StISTACnWinzltI.yahoo.invalid                John Hughes
Mythologic: http://mythologic.info

"There was a muddy centre before we breathed.  There was a myth before the myth began,  Venerable and articulate and complete.

 From this the poem springs: that we live in  a place That is not our own and, much more,  not ourselves, And hard it is in spite of  blazoned days."

Wallace Stevens. "Notes Towards A Supreme Fiction"