Bell Bronze

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_Mn_cs915gzjFHXC82jrFRDaMF89rC6MpN4AlozImpeaEuJNOsrhM_kFa97v3zPA>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:13:37 -0700 (PDT)

     Jane mentioned that the ringing discharge from the bronze cannon was far more pleasant than the iron ones. This must be something that bellcasters have known for a long time, as bells are almost invariably bronze in western and Russian churches.

     So, I'm wondering about the Gloranthan implications of this. Bronze is reasonably available, and various cults must use bells in their ceremonies, towns use them to sound an alarm, etc. Can't remember if it's ever been discussed before, but it sounded like a fun topic to me (yes, pun intended).

     I recall that Harana Ilor was the Goddess of Harmony on the Celestial Spike. I don't know whether she's presumed dead, but if so, her bones would definitely make the best instruments. Anyone know if she's dead?

     Then there's the fact that bell metal is an alloy of copper and tin, the Earth and Sky metals. As Earth and Sky produced Air, which bells need to be heard, perhaps it is considered more appropriate to properly alloy the two metals to cast bells. Bronze wind chimes would also be very appropriate.

     Which cults should be particularly fond of bells and chimes? Donandar, as son of Harana Ilor, should be a natural. Orlanth, sure. I can't remember if there's a separate Orlanthi god of music.

Alison

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time with the Yahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#news