Re: Wenelians - a snippet from Trader Princes

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_fNm7Whu0reZ91iFfmFKpYgLtrgLOb_2XIoskl6EP9FWMYnjy8ZuFHV23u6FJRyaHcBe5>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:38:13 -0000

> Wenelians are a disparate group of shattered tribes and forgotten
> peoples living in western Maniria. The clan forms the heart of their
> lifestyle as they seldom unify long enough to create stable kingdoms or
> tribes. Many clans descend from the Entruli or other beast-worshipping
> groups who turned to the Storm Pantheon long ago. Others were once
> hsunchen peoples. Most Wenelians are of Orlanthi extraction, distant
> cousins to the Esrolians and Heortlings or members of remnant peoples
> who were never rescued by Heort or Imarja and unified into a single
> people.

For folk wanting a different Gloranthan campaign, Wenelia is a good location. The place was a confluence between God Learners, Orlanthi and various animists. After centuries of rule by the God Learners of Slontos, after suffering the Goddess Switch, after the Closing reduced the land to an inaccessible backwater, and, finally, after Slontos itself sunk under the waves, Wenelia is a largely ignored, largely forgotten place, loosely ruled by the Trader Princes.

A cool place to adventure in. I had the pleasure of playing in a game where we were rich foreign merchants who set up shop in Fay Jee and allied ourselves with the growing power of Graymane. Eventually we returned to our native Umathela and one of us made ourselves the first king of our people, but, as they say, that is a different story.

Jeff