Re: Solar Ernalda

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_LhIYuuTDc5_CaGuLNumecRpznDaAt9xJbXohSX7coJ3xmRHc3tq5-QxutSj-hZCnfpU>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:15:21 -0000

Peter Metcalfe:
> Esrola is dead in the Wastelands.

Is she? I didn't know that.

> >What about Ernalda
> >the Healer? Most of her subcults seem to be Storm Tribe/Heortling
in
> >focus. Would there be Sun County versions of those subcults?
>
> I don't see why a Yelmite would object to them.

It just seemed to me that some of them had connections to the Storm Tribe. Enferalda the Supporter, for instance, accompanied Orlanth to battle after he had complained that it was getting harder to fight, I can't see this being very popular as a myth in Sun County. Orventilli The Peacemaker seems to be connected with the Storm Stead, but upon re-reading it, maybe not.Vorela and Votenevra seem OK as well. Thanks.

> >Ernalda
> >All-Mother would be the obvious Sun County cult with Eninta the
> >Midwife, Mahome Hearth-Mother, Overdruva Forest-Friend, Pella the
> >Potter and Vela Matchmaker having no problems in Sun County.
>
> Forests?!? Where are the forests near Sun County?

Sun County in southern Sartar has forests nearby as do the Balazar Sun Domes and a number of the ones in Peloria. Also, mythically, Yelmalio is very strongly connected with Alrya and the Forests, he is one of the defenders of the forest and is a friend of High King Elf, so I can see that Overdruva would be mythically close, as a subcult of Ernalda anyway.

> >Orane
> >Steadwife and Skovara are problematic as they seem to have heavy
> >Storm Tribe connections.
>
> I don't see these heavy storm tribe connections. If you are
referring
> to the mythic blurb then these are to some extent mutable.

Orane if Durev's wife, Durev being the Great Carl of the Storm Tribe, so I'd have thought they were very closely associated.

Donald Oddy:

> Which Sun County are you talking about? AIUI there are significant
> differences between the one in Sartar and the one near Pavis.

All of them :-)

Mainly the ones in Prax and Sartar, but also the ones in Balazar, Tarsh and Peloria. Admittedly the ones in the Empire would have a lot more Dara Happan influence, which means they would be more like Dendara, or maybe less like Dendara as they try to remain distinct.

> >Ernalda in Sun County should differ considerably from Ernalda in
> >Heortling areas. The Number One Husband is Yelmalio not Orlanth
and
> >the Husband-Wife relationship will follow a different model to the
> >standard Ernalda-Orlanth model.
>
> My explanation is that Ernalda was promised to Yelmalio before
> she was abducted by Orlanth. When given the opportunity to chose
> she makes the sensible decision of returning to her betrothed.

I like this. Yelmalio the son no Dara Happan really talks about and Ernalda the wife nobody remembers.

> Ernalda the healer is going to be pretty much unchanged, same
> problems requring the same solution. Overdruva is going to be
almost
> unknown in the Pavis Sun County because there are no forests apart
> from the Garden in the Rubble. Orane will be called the Housewife
> but with the same affinities. Skovara hasn't any storm connections
> that I know of, she's also a subcult of Donandar. Skovara will be
> either a children's entertainer or a cult not acceptable for
> respectable women. Pella I'm a bit doubtful of, I can see potters
> being male in Sun County using the sun rather than a kiln to harden
> the clay.

> From Ernalda the Queen I think Kev and Roitina will
> exist in Sun County - they just don't have the status they do
> among the Orlanthi.

That makes sense. I was thinking that Ernalda the Queen would have no place in a culture ruled by men and Yelmic in nature. But Roitina predates  Orlanth and Ernalda and Kev is pretty much independent.

Thanks for the ideas/answers.

See Ya

Simon