Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_5vmBYCSI8hwvs3FSCcRk2FyYghue1O3GKKMCSEy55CdGaFl79MxfMQEYOHAGco_QwPW>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:07:58 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, donald_at_BkBQ2vqYKC5548JTvRmFSV1IUlqw3NerMVI7FGcIxFLBBlNEfhTw7SoZJR_4gGEX-YqXlo0HpDiRpqhZpbI.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> In message <20070418031739.21507.qmail_at_sNjLC_c3aG4ijbzDc4YfAJXyrzRzSMO8aSiIABiUh0mQBrsn_15jOCkDGIW-BaTwQd5DDn0pyvmP-7w3znstHB6I3u7-rdqG16w6sqxittLmEPGg4k0.yahoo.invalid> Peter Metcalfe writes:
>> At 01:41 a.m. 18/04/2007, you wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think we have an objective explanation of chaos in
>>> Glorantha.
>>
>> Having a chaotic feature is pretty much an objective
>> test of being a chaotic.
>
> Certainly. However not all chaotic beings have chaotic features
> and what is a chaotic feature? A tentacle instead of an arm is
> clear enough, but how about an extra finger?
>
> Nor does this address the issue of how and why chaos spreads.

By chaotic acts, first and foremost I think. People acting chaotically, worshiping chaos or being cursed by chaos magics. The first two are how it can show up where there hasn't been chaos. That's got to be prime, because that is how chaos got into the world in the first place. And it is more llikely to succeed if society is weak, again that's what happened in the godtime.

It can/could spread in an infection like manner - which is why the stone woods near the footprint were created - to stop the spread. I think non-sentients are more prone to this sort of seepage than sentients, but not sure why, or even if I am right.

Maybe it can spread by being the victim of chaotic acts, but I still think this is comparatively rare. But I think its actions - which really means following the myths, that make you chaotic (eventually). If you act in the way chaos did in the godtime you will eventually become chaotic. Look at the description of ogres in Anaxial's Roster (p.181). It talks about how ogres originated in the Godtime, then describes how people have turned into ogres by doing what ogres did in the godtime.

Chaotic features aren't a necessity to be chaotic. Speaking of ogres, according to Anaxial's roster only 5% of them have a chaotic feature, but they are all chaotic creatures.

On the other hand, when does an ogre stop being an ogre? Anaxial's roster gives a typical ogre "crave human flesh 15". So I guess they would have to roll against that with something like "strong willed" if they wanted to stop themselves gorging. Of course, most ogres don't want to stop, unless it will get them exposed, but anyway, consider one who does, say an ogre orphan brought up by humans not knowing what it was. If the craving stat is a "normal" flaw, could an ogre "buy it down"? What happens to an ogre who doesn't crave human flesh, let alone eat it?

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_f0HoNiWziwBfGo7qtmq1itGEfsVyNyz7X2gKVTHGerJlWlLMuByGh0aPi19lOPgf__d9L73-TQc-NzgcIiqldMk.yahoo.invalid