Re: HQ Beginner - Character Generation questions

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_No7aF9-fyPV24NpEq4J9QvV5snTS0qgrhfoqb4kyu3Ch-Prcop2uVYtkq6cT-yf2>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:01:47 -0700 (PDT)

Rory, respionding to someone:
> > The question really is "Is it common
> > practice to select the 'right' type of common magic abilities during
> > character generation or is that considered powergaming?"

> It's powergaming. The player has a pre-concieved idea of where he wants
> the character to go. In Glorantha, a child would have been taught whatever
> the family/clan/whatever knows, which is much more likely to be a mix of
> different styles in the common magic. Flesh Man is different in that he
> only teaches Talents. Most other Common Magic is a mixture of styles.

In some cultures, I suspect that the common magic available and taught to children is the same type of magic as is used by their parents -- or at least is talents, which (IIRC) they can still use after concentration. I think this would particularly be the case where the environment is hostile (Prax) or the main gods are weak. I'd say it would not be true where life is easy and the gods are strongly protective. It would be a Darwinian thing: cultures that teach their children in ways that make them weak for a while are less likely to survive in a hostile environment without protection. YhostileGWV.

Chris