Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_qNd9TnplnsXGm-i8e076oS0D2a1j7nxd7_sZfMi8BG99kAGm-SVSHQpgQAkczRQEGpy>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:22:37 +1200

Mikko wrote:

> > So what part of it does not work for you?

>The argument of how a chaotic being is automatically some sort of
>ultimate anarchist, who feels oppressed by rules and compelled to
>rebell against them.

It's pretty much the definition of chaos, which is commonly understood as being opposed to law or order. If you have a definition of chaos that doesn't involve such an antipathy then by all means put it forward.

>It's terribly psychological and anthropomorphic.

I don't see how. The writer explicitly extends the argument to a dragonsnail which is both unthinking and nonhuman.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos

Well Glorantha isn't wikipedia so I fail to see how this advances your argument.

>The world does not turn into slime because a universal force is
>feeling constrained by rules.

Nobody ever said it did. What is being said is that a particular being can reject the rules in a particular way and in doing so draw on the power of pre-creation.

>I don't think a dragonsnail is a
>creature that experiences the angst of existing within natural law.

So a Dragonsnail is incapable of feeling pain? Why must the torment be purely psychological. As things stand, the Dragonsnail is an angry beast because it is intrinsically tormented by the laws of existence.

>If
>one wants such an explanation to chaos, I'd look at thermodynamics,
>rather than psychology.

Since most people who have heard of thermodynamics don't understand it and the people that do understand it run away from it screaming, I fail to see how invoking thermodynamics is going to advance anybody's understanding of chaos.

>The dragonsnail, and the broo experience
>vibrant vitality, because within them is a hole in the world, where
>vital energy is draining from Glorantha into primal chaos.

How is this a thermodynamic concept? Or have you just mentioned thermodynamics just to make your theory more scientific? You could have just as easily called it fluid mechanics which is just as scientific but sounds a lot less posh.

Furthermore the draining theory is only one facet of chaos - there are six in total as described in Tales 8 (Void, Entropy, Chaos, Gorp, Evil and Seduction). Yes Entropy is a thermodynamic concept but the way it exists in Glorantha is totally unlike how it operates in the real world.

>*While I like this thermodynamic model, I don't think Glorantha
>herself is slowly draining into the void.

Then why even bother to mention thermodynamics?

--Peter Metcalfe