Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_SeXzvKb_vLyrZhWAmxhL83BfjjwTGacBcZrFlXBOIWnhOtD1B49LDPX8K-aaeQRJH44>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:58:09 +1200

Michael Hitchens

>On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> > Being an Ogre is a chaotic feature just as being a Broo or
> > Scorpionfolk.

>That's a rather silly circular argument. "Being chaotic means it is a
>chaotic feature means it is chaotic".

No, it's not. Ogres detect as chaos by virtue of being ogres, not because they have happen to have an additional chaotic feature. Ergo being an Ogre is a chaotic feature.

>Come on. The quote says "About 1 in
>20 possesses a random chaos feature".

Yes That's in _addition_ to their common chaotic feature, which is hereditary in nature.

>Obviously being chaotic does not
>mean you automatically have a chaos feature.

In which case give an example of a chaotic that does not have a chaotic feature. Failing that give an example in glorantha where one society claims something is chaotic and another does not.

> I'm not even sure what you're trying to prove by asking for chaos
>creatures without chaotic features.

It would help if you paid attention to what I actually said. Looking back on what I originally asked, I see that I asked for an example of a _chaotic_, not "chaotic creature", that did not have a chaos feature.

> >> Then what's under the block?

> > A Praxian Horror that destroyed Genert's Garden.

>Which could be called the Devil?

You don't get it. The problem isn't the word "Devil", it's the word "The". The God Learners created the concept there was one Devil around in the Great Darkness. But the Devil of the Malkioni is different from the Devil of the Pelandans who is different yet again the Devil of the Praxians. Now the Devil of the Pelandan myth is GanEstoro, who is not chaotic but rather a darkness deity instead. The Devil of the Kralori mythology is Sekever who actually fought a battle with Tien in the Wastes - the same Tien who is the Devil's Son in the Monomyth.

>Don't get hung up on the coincidence of
>that name and its Judeo-Christian usage.

Please refrain from speculating about what my motivations are for a particular position. It's inflammatory and it doesn't even help your argument.

--Peter Metcalfe