Re: Palmaltela, grass, bad days & list question

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_DGNx7qlUNhhTrPXFJB8_2C-HcT1PmwogSoFk-pUalHDXPm641gSKP0WV_gMy>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 21:31:57 -0000

> If you mean that non-Andean populations were never
> highly developed, that is not the case. There were
> very dense populations in the Amazon River valley, but
> these collapsed a hundred years or so before Europeans
> made it that far, I believe.

A fun book that summarizes this claim for the general reader is _1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus_ by Charles C. Mann. I can't make scientific judgments about the book, but right or wrong, there are some interesting ideas in the Amazon chapter about what large-scale jungle agriculture looked like. It ought to be applicable somewhere in Glorantha.

Rob Helm