Re: Forests and wildlands in Heortland, Sartar, Tarsh

From: donald_at_zrGCB3iDejbqqh2zjoII-TwDc0EsWy2eXLywG30IgIxZNSUjz4VebZpkduUp4JoXTyCf_
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 18:15:46 GMT

In message <f34big+6i6i_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:

>Looking at the offiscial maps for Heortland, Sartar and Tarsh one is
>struck at the lack of large forests. The foothills of Stormwalk
>Mountains seem heavily forested, but other than that one needs to go
>to the wilds north of Snakepipe Hollow to see forest big enough to be
>marked on the map.
>
>Heortland is pretty densely populated, but in Sartar there's supposed
>to be lots of uncleared wildlands, badlands and hunting grouns on
>every tula, and the tulas themselves aren't supposed to be quite next
>to each other.

That's not true, it's possible for tula's to overlap each other.

>So how much forest is there to be seen when you travel in these
>barbarian lands? Is Dragon Pass basically covered by old growth forest
>into which the tulas have been cleared, or has the recent human
>inhabitation already turned the place into something like modern
>Scotland, Wales or New Zeland, rolling hills covered in grass with
>hardly a tree in sight.

I think you've got a medieval England look for the most part. The lowlands mostly being cleared for crops and grazing but with patches of woodland and marshland separating steads. Clans are crowded up against each other. The hills don't grow much in the way of crops but are used for summer grazing and hunting. There aren't many trees up there because the earth is too shallow for tree roots and the wind is too strong and cold. This is where you get gaps between tulas simply because in places no one has any real use for the land. I'd expect there to be a cycle of building steads on parts of these hills as clan population expands and then abandoning them when the population falls due to war or crop failure.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/