Re: Glornatha Lunar Empire

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_K3e5DL6G1fIuOHaYfvKvWGhQ3m0l0N1ruEMlwniSIIAUlBBXcphZLq4IOPfx3FqDX75ts>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 09:37:37 -0700

> Hi, I have a question. I play MRQ in the second age of Glornatha. A
> friend
> has played previous ages, and he told me about the Lunar Empire in the 3rd
> age.
>
> How did the third age come about, and what brought on the Lunar empire?

Heh, now *that's* a question and a half! The (very) brief answers:

The Second age ends in blood and suffering and destruction. The Empire of Wyrms friends is destroyed by the Dragons and Dragonewts, the Middle Sea Empire is destroyed by a number of catastophes, including the Closing of the Seas, and God-Learnerism is punsihed by the world itself. Basically, the world was stretched too far, and bounces back.

So the Third age begins with everything in shambles.

Time passes.

The Lunar Empire is the result of the Carmanian oppression of the Pelorian Basin. Rebels gather against them and manage to raise/reconstruct/resurrect/mythically re-identify the Moon Goddess. She hadn't been seen in the Sky since before Time, and it is a Major Event (similar, but not identical, to the birth of Nysalor) when She returns to the Middle World. At first She is embodied in a human body, leads armies, defeats enemies, etc., but eventually She apotheosizes and rises up as the Red Moon, taking a big chunk of Glorantha with her to form Her material body in the Middle Air.

The Red Moon hovers over Glorantha, She does not follow a path like the sun, the stars or any other Celestial object. She can be seen night and day, never setting but always remains in the same place. She slowly changes color from Red to Black and back to Red over the course of 7 days. The Moon is home to all those heroes, demigods and Immortals o fthe Lunar way - it is their afterlife. You can get to the moon from the physical world relatively easily - you can walk there if you can overcome the guards along the way.

RR