Re: A quick thought on Scorpion Men

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_hhuz9Bzm0HRzUQopP1sHiEQYXjsPsxCtWvTiOyaBKGWB7ENji490YCgnhPAYPevlOTR>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:47:30 +0000 (UTC)

"Laurent Castellucci" <lightcastle_at_I4-EIu_WPVMnKly-qdaiug_y04DR5BBcW-D9EW7UWxCT3LIUYiAHd04k2W04Uw8lfnD-VZW2XspmRiU.yahoo.invalid> >

> No idea, but I do seem to recall the unspoken word book on the Uz
having
> a troll Scorpion God who was related to Bagog in some way.
Certainly
> there was an implication that Bagog was corrupted - so why not the
> Scorpion men?

I may be misremembering, but I *think* the story was, an ancient Scorpion spirit was devoured by the chaotic Bagog--and Bagog, having that "become what you devour" juju, became the chaotic scorpion being we know and love. It's possible I have the names swapped, though, and Bagog was the name of the scorpion spirit. (And I'm not sure if "Uz: The Trolls of Glorantha" is 100% canonical.)

I could imagine that there were already man/scorpion mixes, and they were corrupted at the time. But I could also imagine that the newly scorpiony Bagog devoured some important Man, and ended up changing further--from pure scorpion to the present centaurlike thing.

(Musing: The God-Learners rebuilt the beast-men which had died out before Time, yes? I wonder if any of them tried to "rebuild" nonchaotic  scorpion men? Perhaps under the impression that there must have been non-chaotic ones originally--an impression which might not be accurate...)

--AMS