Re: When feats fail catastrophically

From: Rob <lamorak33_at_3qO2xpGU_qMhV9o15pNmjz2vQTwdzUuFoA4N3UDY7Z5v347eBdRVHDU3QHABVmMbWq>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:16:24 -0000

Hi

> > So when a Destor cultist tries to throw his opponent to the ground
> > with a windblast and fails catastrophically... what happens?
> >
> > -Adept

This sounds like a rules question. Do you ask it here hoping for Greg to answer?

Anyway, the answer to your question is probably largely dependent on your and your players preferred gaming style, and in particular why they failed.

For example, if they failed catastrophically using the HQ rules it may simply be because they were hopelessly outclassed in a contest. Example: When an Inora Practitioner in my game attempted to freeze wind attack Harrek the Beserk after he killed Garrath Sharpsword on the cradle, she suffered a complete defeat with a few bump downs to spare. I ruled that she was completely encased in ice due to the feedback from the white bear! Her companions were able to break her out and the event underligned Harrek's invincibility so completely, dramatically nothing was to be gained by inflicting more harm on the character, or her magic.

However, if a situation is framed in such a way as the destori is literally putting his magic on the line, and the player and story has built up to this moment of high drama, then a complete defeat can mean losing faith in Orlanth, becoming an apostate; losing the ability to use magic from that affinity; but whatever, the stakes must be set out fairly clear and we are talking extended type contest.

What you seem to describe however is a simple contest going wrong, so I would go for option 1 in that case.

Does that help?

Regards
Rob