Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_mdGCfTA_JUxlPWh13Qx0Nc8bz0YCU_ivJr0kZ5uKa6S_yA2yg0tMXmi2cGsYfa_aJTsnG>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:03:09 -0700

> I'm curious as to how this kind of mixed worship differs from Lunar
> worship to the casual eye.
> Yes, there are functional differences in that Lunars can concentrate on
> Lunar and are subject to the cycle, but if I understand ILH2 properly,
> then someone worshipping a single entity can get what appear as spells
> and feats. (for example)
>
> Would this appear different than the mixed magic of other people? Is it
> that in other people you never see mixed magic gained like that from
> worship of a single entity?

"Never" is a pretty absolute word (and the Teshnans have different magic from the same being - why or how, we don't know yet) but for the most part, you won't normally see a single non-Lunar (non-teshnan, non-troll...) Entity providing two different styles of magic to a single person who worships it in a singular fashion.

Lunar Immortals *do* provide different magics, but they always provide the same abilities. Frex: Deezola provides Heal Body and Heal Soul Affinities, The Radiant Light of the Goddess Formulary, and Healing Earth spirits. Worshippers always get that particular mix of abilities - you wouldn't have someone getting a Healing Earth Affinity, or a Heal Body Formulary.

Remmeber that the magic you *get* depends on the worship you *give*. If you worship a being using Theistic Sacrifice, you get affinities. If you worship it with Animistic Ecstasy, you get spirits, and if you worship it with Sorcerous Veneration you get formularies/grimoires. I'm willing to bet that if you worship it using Lunar Reverance, you'll only get a *single* type of magic in response. Ditto with trollish, elvish, draconic, choatic or any other type of worship that hasn't been written up yet. For these "Mixed Magic" styles of worship, you probably get back the "right" kind of magic for the being - if it's really a god and you worship it with Lunar rites, you get Affinities.

RR