Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_AYspBn6Nb-8B8VGWqcdB4SlxHfH330hspHvlYGQMGqVgkNyHOByOg9ZLe7VzPSsSJHU>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:27:35 -0000

John Machin:
> Rulesets which punish heroic behaviour seem to be a really hard
> concept for me to grasp. Perhaps if we had a lot of rulesets called
> "AverageQuest" this might strike me as more sensible, but if the
> descriptive Glorantha (its myths) encourages multiple
interpretations
> and different routes to the same sort of things then its probably in
> the interest of Gloranthaphiles to have this modelled more closely
in
> the mechanics that exist.

Personally, the split between animism/theism/wizardry was something that I never understood and still have trouble with. I'm glad to see it being watered down somewhat.

> However, I suspect that if it was possible to interrogate Aeolians
> about the nature of their worship they sure as anything would not
> admit that, yes, the traditional Heortlings are correct and they are
> aware that they are misinterpreting the nature of one of the core
> entities of their religion. Should the Glorantha of the Gloranthans
> vary a bit too? I find myself wondering about the poor Aeolians who
> claim greater insight than their rustic neighbours but whose ability
> to evoke the magic of their chosen entities is so penalised when
> compared to those same rustics.

They wouldn't admit that they are misinterpreting the nature of their various Saints because they are not. As far as they are concerned, their prophet has shown them that their Saints helped Malkioni and Malkion's Way and should be venerated. Nothing wrong there at all.

Other Malkioni, on the other hand, have serious problems with it and would not include those Saints, whereas someone like Saint Talor is included in many Malkioni Sects.

You don't just start worshipping a being in a vacuum. Any socalled  "misapplied worship" happens because there is a need to worship said being in said culture. Praxians worship the Horse Eater to get anti-Pentian spirits, Lunars worship Yara Aranis as the Goddess of the Reaching Moon, some Lunars get sorcery from her. It doesn't really matter how, why is more important.

See Ya

Simon