Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_kmPqnunjN7lTGCQeZeOVIsIHwiIQ2-mUiv8kQwyUsWFh9L_yz0iyHa4xH-4nzms9eZ>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:13:11 +1000

> I think this design philosophy has developed since HQ was published.
> Role playing games have traditionally tried to mechanically balance
> the various options a player has. They have usually failed. Some
> gamers have now concluded that balance doesn't matter if it makes
> a good story.

Yes, this is all true, but it's still a pretty uncommon concept that perhaps bears a paragraph or two at the start of the rules; or a text box on a "weaker" cultures Homeland page. I've been roleplaying for a fair amount of time and the concept of playing an underdog is not foreign to me, however I (and others new to the games and thus to the setting) haven't been thinking about Glorantha anything like as long as some of the people on this list or the authors of the materials (the fact that many members of the former group are also member of the later emphasises this even more!).

Also, I would say that recognising that true balance in a system is impossible is one thing, but building imbalances into the system is quite another.

> Why? They'll probably remain as they are, minor groups on the fringes
> of more powerful ones. If they gamble their culture against a more
> mainstream one then they'll lose badly and probably disappear.

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick again but I thought that once the hero wars get up to steam everyone ends up involved in some way?

--
John Machin