Re: Ernalda Options

From: donald_at_TT7w1aAADV2cR9ZJPxjJObhTe5TM4YiZbasvbraOcfb_VaIEGj7szvvV46jbhh-lZAjqN
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:55:55 GMT

In message <200707180605.l6I65tgG000888_at_KyWy-S2zM153NtDZSZx_tX4jvqzKSi_j9i3IsnszkAFva_NXZp4RfnoXR3t2J8IyB01rXpNwPSKlkdT0ZfOzrre9CyZGtRNcku29XlK9dbua0H2QrQ.yahoo.invalid> John Hughes writes:

>To suggest that fertility, pregnancy and a concern with offspring are
>somehow essential to be being a *real* and *complete* woman... do I
>have to spell it out? The Inanna and Isis cycles are about many
>things, but primarily about sovereignty. They were very different
>goddesses, one of war, one of magic, both in different ways, of love,
>and their cults and myths meant many different things over the long
>historical period of which they were extant.

I'll agree that this isn't and shouldn't be the only female mythic cycle but it is one of them and a major one. There seems to be a reluctance to explore it. Perhaps because it isn't heroic enough in male terms? There's lots about the relationship between Orlanth and Yelm but there's nothing about the one between Ernalda and Dendara.

>Given the recent attempts to retrocast Vinga in the name of some
>ever-deepening Heortling gender essentialism, this is probably a
>topic we want to leave alone. :) There are still a *few* women
>players left.

Vinga has always been the defender storm protecting women (fertility) and children. So she can be fitted into that box pretty easily.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/