Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_-N0XWqFWmubVXcwLRQNDMRPVMUlhTcuXRLDc_ns9GfyAsIIBM4PUcw-VO1GKAm-nSkb>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:13:26 -0000

> *I* see problems in that if the entire HeroBand is working to resolve
> a single conflict, you get one protagonist making the roll, and
> everyone else is, at best, augmenting his roll. Which really emulates
> a novel, but isn't great for RPGs, where everyone wants to be The
> Hero.

I've been learning to focus on enabling when playing my character. That is, instead of taking the limelight, I ask questions and direct attention towards the characters of more quiet players. Quite a lot of fun to be had that way too.

I'm not sure the "everybody wants to be a hero" should apply to every cituation. A moving spotlight is the best thing in a group game, and a good group will all share in their accomplishments.

I am currently also running a superhero game (based on Nephilim), and it's interesting to balance these things in a supergroup game. Everybody literally is a hero, but they can't all be in the spotlight every single moment.

  -Adept