Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Brian Curley <bkcurley_at_mkSKGUqVrF3PcyCIQavIn9EJrcUpvexhOvtdhw5PkugOAv32hBPsSgX4yndYsfcOc8R>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:30:42 -0500

Ian wrote:
> --- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com, "L.Castellucci"
> <lightcastle_at_...> wrote:
>> OK. This I am curious about. Why do you think it doesn't handle

> ensemble play
>> very well?
>>

> *I* see problems in that if the entire HeroBand is working to resolve a
> single conflict, you get one protagonist making the roll, and everyone
> else is, at best, augmenting his roll. Which really emulates a novel,
> but isn't great for RPGs, where everyone wants to be The Hero.

I can see how that might be the case if you were using a Simple Contest, but if it's the kind of thing that the entire Hero Band is working towards, it sounds kind of "climactic" or at least important. I seem to recall HQ stating that such situations are precisely what Extended Contests are designed for.

There is no requirement for everyone to just augment one player's roll. If they choose to contribute in that way, that's their choice. But in most cases there is nothing preventing them from using their own ability to try to reduce the APs of the resistance.

The situation Ian describes seems more like a mistake by the Narrator, rather than a flaw with the system.

BKC