Re: Real World Vingans

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at__i3g8RNp6buhs6XYhol12ilFTP9mCaohHwkI87MZPsz7MDOWF5Wh2AXU8x3eEB3D>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 07:27:10 -0000

Greg :

> YGWV

> donald :
>
> In message <f84gvb+qqtj_at_...
> <mailto:f84gvb%2Bqqtj%40eGroups.com>> "julianlord" writes:
> > >Anyway, I'll pick up on your remark here --- and sorry, but
this is a
> > >misunderstanding -- there are TWO genders, male and female
(duh?) :
> > >NO neuter, Nandan, Vingan, nor Helering...
> >
> > I presume you are referring to physical genders here. As I
recall
> > the context of the discussion it was about *social* genders.

And yes, I was referring to social genders, actually --- sorry for not being crystal clear about that ;-)

I therefore agree with both you and Greg here...

--

> > >Vingans have no gender mutability whatsoever, and not even
Helerings
> > >would have physically sexual mutability either, normally.
> > >
> > >"Male" Vingans would be tomboys as children, just as young
Nandani
> > >would be sissies (or whichever less derogatory term).
> >
> > I'm not at all sure that this is true. KoS states that all the
> > childless widows of the Kheldon joined the cult of Vinga at one
> > stage. It is unlikely that they were all tomboys.
>
> Correct. Vinga is much more than just being tomboys.
I was referring to "Male" Vingans, not to Vingans in general --- just to those Vingans with a deeply rooted male psychological profile, which would manifest in early childhood. So again, sorry for any unwanted confusion, and I agree with both of you.
> > ... there isn't
time
> > to become competent at all the required skills. A limited subset
> > of male and female skills certainly.
>
> Correct.
Yeah, I took a deliberately extreme example, just to make a point -- sorry.
> > >Vingans and Nandani MUST choose between one or the other,
although it
> > >has to be said that most Nandani wouldn't normally get any
choice at
> > >all... but there is a place in Heortling society for women
warriors,
> > >so that a Vingan _can_ be a woman, and proud of it ;-)
> >
> > I'm of the view that many more women learn weapon handling than
just
> > Vingans. Not that it makes them warriors any more than the
average
> > male Orlanthi is. But they add to they fyrd and can pick up a
spear
> > to defend their stead if it's attacked.
>
> Absolutely. I believe that I have stated this.
Well that's very similar to my own point of view here. OT1H some Vingans would be tomboys, OT2H some others would simply be women with weapons (and proud of it), OT3H some others would be bloodstained revenge bitches out for your blood ... ;-) Oh etc, and YGWV The point about gender is that normally, you _must_ choose between one or the other, and I obviously mean social gender here (it is VERY hard to choose your physical gender), or you follow Heler. And Vinga and Nandan are not Heler subcults. There are obviously going to be some other more minor exceptions, both within and at the fringes of the Heortling cultural influence
> Everyone knows they have both
Ernalda
> and Orlanth "inside themselves," but that they will tend to lean
one way
> or the other. So when those hardy warriors are out on campaign and
they
> have to cook, they will know they are using a bit of Ernalda, or
Nandan,
> energy to do that. And when the housewife throws a rock at the rat
in
> her cupboard there is a little bit off Orlanth, or Hedkoranth,
there. Very good points :-) Julian Lord