Re: Real World Vingans

From: donald_at_mAjmgT-U8asOA9eKm6M03SXbcI_6aQbeNcHHo1Kc6qdiFTzp81FTdFP2PRNZ9ssx6gWT3
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:37:55 GMT

In message <46A6A7A7.5070905_at_fwUOWdEYfuo1B5mT58iwIoI12anr15Y0Ek6gqW43m9bxg2Mkc02H6n_VrRwigTDm2cUtfgX-4qG6LPDFdWkrtqZnXMARSS_GZQ.yahoo.invalid> Greg Stafford writes:

>> If you look at Thunder Rebels though the cultural assumptions of
>> modern Europe and the US
>
>And there is the rub. I have always assumed
>that the average HQ player would know better than to project modern
>European/US mores onto an ancient society. I had just assumed that we
>were better educated and informed than that. This mistaken assumption of
>mine accounts for a lot of the heat that my comments often generate from
>this list.

In my experience it's not a matter of education but an ability to switch viewpoints. Some people have it, others don't. It's probably learnable but outside Social Anthropology Degrees I don't know where it's formally taught.

>> >Dara Happan noble women? Probbly screamie meemies, sure.
>>
>> Even there I think there's a limit. Push Dendara too far and
>> her sister Gorgorma appears.

>Yes, but it is Gorgorma, not Dendara.

Indeed but Dara Happen women are no better at emulating Dendara than Heortling ones are at emulating Ernalda. Maybe less so given that the society is more restrictive. Hmm, gives me an idea for a character who turns from Dendara to Gorgorma when things go wrong for her.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/