Re: Dragonship Drydocks

From: DURUPT Jean <jean.durupt_at_cBy3W7L0o5IL5nH8dfNt4QS2LAIQ7iol7y2Yxq3SCy8fXC1Bl4SQsYjzBOv_Hx-S>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:04:03 +0200

Paolo Guccione wrote:

> I think the waertagi would never drag one of their ships ashore in a
> potentially unfriendly harbor, and since they are despised and
> distrusted by
> almost everyone they will consider any harbor as unfriendly.
>
> In fact I prefer option 1, or the wet dock, too.
>
> > For myself, the places with "Sog" in their name were the only places
> > that had drydocks for repairing ships: i.e. in Fronela and (before the
> > darkness), at the edge of Prax. And probably in Brithos too.
>
> Hmmm, since we have a map of pre-closing Brithos now, is it possible to
> locate this drydock there? The dock was probably no longer used in the
> Second Age, but anything big enough to host a dragonship should leave
> a big
> ruin behind!

Well, in Brithos there is city named Waertagwal. I think it is there that the dragonships were repaired and maybe dragged ashore.

I was not clear enough about what I thought the dry docks are. I see them as gigantic tubs, open to the sea, dug so that even at low tide the water is at least 31m deep in them. They are colossal structures because the
walls around them must withstand the shock of the wave when a dragonship enter or leave the harbor.
The dragonship is afloat inside a dry dock but immobile. The walls can be used as wharves.

And yes, after Tanian's victory they make big ruins.

Cheers
Jean