Re: Outlawry

From: donald_at_I4L9yl4XqcYbbnKFFO9lNETy3Foaf_jy4rWngg_3ANNiUs7ptuuwqVw2GwHh8f5kjmZXh
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:03:28 GMT

In message <f8fifi+f3et_at_eGroups.com> "Simon Phipp" writes:

>Is that right? Hmmmm. I never realised that being decalred an outlaw
>meant that you lost your link to your deity.
>
>What would happen, for the same of argument, if a Devotee of Orlanth,
>or one of his subcults, from, say, the Colymari, were outlawed by the
>Colymari King, who is a well-known Lunar symapthiser? Would said
>devotee lose his link to Orlanth? Seems to be an excellent way of
>severely damageing a rival.
>
>I'd have thought that being outlawed from a clan would allow you to go
>to another clan and be part of that clan. So, someone outlawed from the
>Greydog clan could go to the Posse clan, who are enemies of the
>Greydogs, and worship there. Similarly, someone outlawed from the
>Lismelder Tribe could go to another tribe and take part there. Doesn't
>Orlanthi Law relate only to individual structures? So, a clan chief is
>responsible only for his clan, a tribal king for his tribe and the King
>of Sartar only for Sartarite Tribes/Clans. It seems strange that
>someone outlawed from a clan is also effectively outlawed from the
>whole of Orlanthi society.
>
>Does the same apply to people who are temporarily outlawed?

It's clearly described in TR as I mentioned earlier. However it's only where a clan outlaws an individual. Nor does it apply to temporary outlawry (or banishment). Furthermore it's only for a few specific crimes which offend against the gods. So just falling out with the current leadership won't do it.

So clan outlawry reflects the situation where someone has broken the law so badly even their kin don't want anything to do with them. You may be enemies of that clan but you still won't want someone like that in your midst. Of course there are probably a few clans set up by the Lunars who will accept such individuals but they'll follow Doburdon or the Seven Mothers so lack of Orlanthi & Ernaldan magic won't matter.

Remember in most Gloranthan cultures crimes this serious would be dealt with by execution. It's only the taboo against killing kin that prevents the Orlanthi doing the same.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/